Can a hiatel hernia cause breathing or weight problems? I am a 47 yr old female.

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Maybe

Large hiatal hernias can cause shortness of breath, but this is unusual in somebody that is 47.
These are also known as paraesophageal hernias, and can be diagnosed on endoscopy or upper G.I. Contrast study. Small hiatal hernias are typically completely asymptomatic. The hiatal hernia would not be associated with weight problems unless it prevented you from eating in which case you may have unplanned weight loss.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Not usually

Though the reflux associated with some hernias will often feel like it is difficult to breathe.
Weight on the other hand can cause breathing problems and worsen the hiatal hernia symptoms. Losing weight and increasing activity may help both of your problems. Still, if they are not improving or worsening you should see an md.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Adam Levy