My father got cdiff while in the hosp, why don't drs prescribe probiotics more frequent to increase the good flora when on strong antibiotics?

Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Unproven
While some studies show possible benefit from probiotics more studies show an inconclusive benefit.
It appears that active antibiotic use destroys the helpful bacteria in probiotics making them useless. In rare cases, probiotics have become unfriendly and caused unusual infections in people with weak immune systems. Probiotics may have a more useful role after antibiotic are stopped.

In brief: Unproven
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Booth Wainscoat
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Doesnt always work
Your dad could have gotten c diff even if he was already on probiotics.
Also, some probiotics are killed by the antibiotics too. Obviously, being in a hospital is a risk factor but there is likely an immune system issue in patients who develop recurrent c diff. Unfortunately, c diff is here to stay and prevention is more important then cure.

In brief: Doesnt always work
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
In brief: Good question
Most drs either are not keen to think about 2ndary causes of antibiotic side effects to the gut flora or too involved in treating the infection.
The benefits of using probiotics has surged and proven to be effective. I agree that this is overlooked when prescribing antibiotics particularly in elderly patients.

In brief: Good question
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. Arnon Rubin