What is the treatment for myloma?

Many new options. Therapy for myeloma has evolved from cytotoxic drugs (mp, vad, hcvad) to the immunomodulatory drug (imid) thalidomide. More recent drugs include the imid Lenalidomide (revlimid) (pomalidomide coming...), Bortezomib (velcade), doxil, (liposomal doxorubicin) etc. Many new drugs are on the horizon. Bisphosphonate therapy with zoledronic acid (zometa) is of benefit. Tx has changed from simple to complex and individualized.
Mainly chemotherapy. The treatment of myeloma usually consists of chemotherapy- ranging from oral drugs to complex intravenous chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant. Radiation can be used for painful bone areas and sometimes surgery is used for stabilising bones at fracture risk.
Treatment. We treat myeloma with Bortezomib (valcade), Lenalidomide (revilimid) and Dexamethasone and after several treatment cycles we would consider autologus stem cell transplantation for the patient. We also use zoledronic acid (zometa) for bone metastasis.