My 17 year old son has asthma. He wants to take creatine mega supplements. Is this healthy for him & what alternatives are out there?

Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Won't hurt asthma

Although creatine will not affect his asthma, the real question is whether it will help him get stronger or build endurance.
The studies are mixed as to whether or not it will help. Whatever you choose, take creatine with plenty of water as it is cleared by the kidneys, and you certainly don't want to put any strain on the kidneys!

In brief: Won't hurt asthma

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Thomas Stern
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Creatine and asthma

There is limited scientific evidence that creatine may make asthma worse.
There is limited scientific evidence that suggests creatine might help athletic performance. I think the risk of him having significant worsening of his asthma with creatine is low but probably still outweighs the risk of taking creatine. I would recommend against it.

In brief: Creatine and asthma

Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Shontae Buffington