When I cough these white soild clumps come up and feel like they're coming from my toncles they look like chewed food and smell bad. Whats wrong?

Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Happens frequently
The tonsils have crypts (caves) in them. When you swallow, food is pushed back and then to the sides of your throat.
This causes food to be pushed into those crypts where it is trapped, mixes with bacteria and can cause bad breath.There is no way to prevent this other than removal of your tonsils.One can use a water pick or other safe manner to remove them.

In brief: Happens frequently
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Tonsil cheese
The tonsils are not smooth.
They have pockets or crypts in which debris can hide. Old food, bacteria, viruses and shed cells form this material which smells bad. Some people are treated with mouth rinses but the only cure is tonsillectomy.

In brief: Tonsil cheese
The tonsils are not smooth.
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology