My left breast hurts on the side and in the armpit. Could it be breast cancer?

Not likely. Pain is not a usual feature of breast cancer. Is there a mass or lump? If there is a lump, see your doctor immediately. Does your bra fit well on both sides? Do mention this to your doctor at your next visit.
Mastalgia. Breast pain is not usually a sign of cancer and is more commonly related to fibrocystic changes or simple mastalgia. However, you should be examined by your gynecologist and or breast surgeon or general surgeon to help figure out what is going on also imaging with an ultrasound could be helpful and or mammography.