What are the probable causes of a swollen axillary lymph node?

Monitoring Centers. Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food. Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria, viruses, cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.
Many. A few causes include infections such a hair follicle infection if you shave your armpits, infection of the hand or nails, breast cancer, other cancer. You should seek the advice of a health care professional.