Could something be wrong with my ears; if I go more then 3 ft down while swimming there is a lot of painful pressure in my head.?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Yoy may have fluid behind your ear drum or you may have a thin ear drum that with the pressure of the water causes your ear to hurt.
Have you had this previously? Perhaps you need to get a good ear exam and perhaps a tympanometry (measure of the middle ear pressure). This could be done either by your pcp or by an ent. There may be other reasons as well. How is yoiur hearing?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
David Miller
In brief: This is normal
The water above you presses on your ear drums, creating the painful pressure you're describing.
You need to equalize the pressure with something like a valsalva maneuver. Scuba divers do this to depths of 400 ft and more.

In brief: This is normal
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: May be sinuses
May be normal, but may be congestion in the eustachian tubes connecting ears, nose, throat; may be sinus issues.
Might want to get checked by md.

In brief: May be sinuses
Might want to get checked by md.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Andrea Brand