I had to have my gallbladder removed, what happens to my body without this particular organ?

Ken Starnes
General Practice

In brief: Fat digestion issues

The gallbladder stores and concentrates bile, which is produced by the liver and used by your body to absorb fat in the gut.
When you eat fat, a hormone called cck signals the gallbladder to release bile. If the gallbladder is removed, the bile cannot be released all at once, so some fat is not absorbed. It is then passed out as diarrhea. A diet low in fat, and smaller meals will reduce that.

In brief: Fat digestion issues

Ken Starnes
Ken Starnes
Answer assisted by Ken Starnes, Medical Student
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics

In brief: Lower fat digestion

The gallbladder stores and concentrates bile, which is then released to aid in breakdown of fatty foods.
Without the gallbladder, patients may have some loose stool or even diarrhea after eating fried or fatty foods. This generally gets better over the course of a few months.

In brief: Lower fat digestion

Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman