My newborn baby is having surgery. The anesthesiologist wants to do spinal anesthesia. Says, gen anesthesia not good for little brain. Is spinal safe?

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Yes, but

The spinal is a safe anesthetic for a pediatric patient.
I have found that the surgeons do not like the fact that the patient is still wiggling while they work, but that is personal. I am not sure that i completely agree with the comments of my colleague about anesthesia and the brain, but that is a different discussion.

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. John Stork
Anesthesiology

In brief: Spinal OK

Recent animal studies raise concerns that some anesthetics might interfere with brain development.
However we know that surgery without anesthesia is very damaging, so anesthesia may be necessary. In young infants surgery should be delayed until older unless absolutely needed. For the right kind of surgery, a spinal or regional or local anesthesia is a way to avoid the more toxic agents.

In brief: Spinal OK

Dr. John Stork
Dr. John Stork
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology

Ask how many cases like this the anesthesiologist has done.
If < 10 make sure there is backup help. Spinal seems better but studies are few wtihout long term outcomes.

Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Big hospital

Trust hospitals with large numbers of similar procedures.
If your anesthesiologist and pediatric surgeon both agree on this plan and you are at a tertiary care center, go for it.

In brief: Big hospital

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

Important to have an experienced pediatric anesthesiologist.
Especially in newborn where respiratory center not fully matured, a primary spinal technique is very safe, especially in short procedure. Baby should do fine. Rest assured, your child will be fully monitored in the same fashion as a general and he/she will experience no pain.

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Rita Agarwal
Anesthesiology

In brief: Spinal is safe

Yes, spinal is very safe.
General anesthesia is also safe, but their are questions that are currently being investigated regarding the effects of anesthesai (and surgery and stress) on the developing brain.

In brief: Spinal is safe

Yes, spinal is very safe.
Dr. Rita Agarwal
Dr. Rita Agarwal
Dr. Kamel Ghandour
Anesthesiology

In brief: Yes!

Hello ! i think that you can ask more questions.
I'm the assistant chief & i encourage pre-anesthesia phone calls from patients' parents. Ask them! pediatric anesthesiologists are used to questions from mothers. We customize the anesthesia for the child & the surgery to minimize risk. Spinal anesthesia can be safe & so is a general anesthesia... It all depends on what your child needs!

In brief: Yes!

Dr. Kamel Ghandour
Dr. Kamel Ghandour
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery