I take 600 milligrams of lyrica (pregabalin) a day and I have put on 30 lbs what should I do and what if I stoped taking this medication?

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management
In brief: Side effect
Weight gain is a common side effect of lyrica (pregabalin).
If you decided to stop the medicine you should do it step by step in the reverse order from the regimen your doctor recommended when you started it.

In brief: Side effect
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
You don't say why you take it, but likely you could change to Cymbalta, Topamax, or a number of other options. You need to wean back on the Lyrica and not just stop it.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Adverse effect
Weight gain with Lyrica (pregabalin) does occur. I always question patients about activity and diet as other possible causes (or at least additive causes).
I would not stop the drug "cold turkey" but rather wean it down over several weeks. Other options may to treat your pain may included Cymbalta or topamax....Both of which seem to be more weight "neutral".

In brief: Adverse effect
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Vikram Patel