Personal opinion is that a general dentist should refer a root canal out to an endodontist. Would you not want that if you were a trained endodontist?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Ability, not degree

In almost all cases, endodontists do have more training than general dentists in performing rct.
That does not insure better treatment nor a more successful outcome. Ultimately it is the care, expertise and proficiency for each and every case that determines the quality of care, and not necessarily the degree. It is always best to give patients the choice and let them decide what they want to do.

In brief: Ability, not degree

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler

In brief: Not black and white

I ask you if a general dentist that has been doing 10 root canals a week for 10 years is less qualified to treat a simple anterior tooth than a newly graduated endodontist? The standard of care is the same.
People are the variable, you have good dentist and bad, just as you have good endodontist and bad. Most dentist i know are very conscientious and treat only within their comfort zone.

In brief: Not black and white

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Zahid Ahmed
Dentistry

In brief: This depends on the

Comfort level and training of your dentist.
A general dentist with proper training is capable of providing a root canal therapy within their ability. Referral to an endodontist should always be exercised for root canals that are too complex, or outside the comfort and training level of the dentist. Not all root canals need to be referred, but you can see a specialist if desired. Good luck.

In brief: This depends on the

Dr. Zahid Ahmed
Dr. Zahid Ahmed
Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dentistry

In brief: I Do Endo Daily

General dentists must be able to perform root canals at the same level of outcome as a specialist, or refer to a specialist.
That said, many general dentists are exceptional at endo procedures, some choose not to perform them at all. Either way, if a general dentists performs root canals, they should take the necessary ceus, often, to stay current on the best equipment, techniques, and diagnosis.

In brief: I Do Endo Daily

Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

That being said, as an endodontist, about 30% of the cases i treat are previous root canals that are problematic, or failing.
That's not to say a general dentist can't do a good root canal or and endodontist always does. But an endodontist with a stellar reputation is i believe, your best choice. Root canals are like fingerprints, no two exactly alike. Microscopically trained endodontist is best.

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
A stellar reputation speaks volumes about the professional you are looking to hire. If such a dentist were to make a decision to proceed with a case, I would trust his judgement over an endodontist with a not so stellar reputation. If you need a car, you could go with the reputation of a Honda, or a Mercedes. The Mercedes is definitely a superior car, however, the honda is a better fit for the average persons needs & budget. I too have noticed a definite link between the success rate of an endodontist that uses a microscope vs that of one that does not. I will not retreat a case, I do believe that those cases are better left to such a specialist. While I do not believe every root canal is better of treated by an endodontist, I believe some (in my office) are and those get referred. My point is simply if you trust your dentist to do the right thing, why not save the money and have him do the root canal if it is in his comfort zone? If you are to see a specialist, I would make certain he uses superior equipment, at minimum a microscope, a CT is also very useful in some cases.
Dr. Marsha Davis