Everytime I run or move my leg a certain way, my knee pops out of place and hurts, also swells up. What could be wrong?

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine
In brief: Patella
It could be a problem with patella instability or a meniscal injury or loose body really need an exam and a definitive diagnosis.

In brief: Patella
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Scott Slattery
Sports Medicine
In brief: Instability cap/knee
If the knee cap is what is popping out of place and you have not had an injury, you like have a structural instability.
A lot of the tendency for this to occur is inherited. If it is the main knee joint that is moving out of place, that can be related to an old ligament injury, usually the acl. It sounds like you should see an orthopedic surgeon and get this figured out.

In brief: Instability cap/knee
Dr. Scott Slattery
Dr. Scott Slattery
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine