Will diet pills affect the effectiveness of birth control ?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: BCP effectiveness
No, if your take your birth control pills correctly, they should not affect the efficacy of the medication.
I am referrring to diet pills that are prescribed by a physician who is knowlegeable and trained in the treatment of medical weight loss. A good web site to check is the asbp--american society of bariatric physicians.

In brief: BCP effectiveness
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
3 comments
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
We do need to add one more info issue to the above. Though not an approved diet pill Topiramate has been helpful to some individuals for weight reduction and shown to
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
have an effect on oral contraceptive effectiveness. Currently this medication in combination is still under review/discussion with the FDA. As a l
Dr. Martin Fielder
In brief: Usually no
None of the typical diet pills, like over the counter ones (usually caffeine or other stimulant based) or prescription ones (like phentermine) do not affect birth control of any method.

In brief: Usually no
Dr. Martin Fielder
Dr. Martin Fielder
Dr. Jane Van Dis