I had sigmoid region cancer in colon . Ihad surgery d and took chemo and last 7 years I am gettig colonoscopy done is normal. Should i continue colon?

Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Yes for sure

Need to keep close eye on chance of recurrence.
May b able to have them less frequently but ask surgeon.

In brief: Yes for sure

Dr. Jorge Lopez-Canino
Normal colonoscopy? Great news!!! Your next colonoscopy should be done in 5 years, or earlier if elevated tumor markers, bleeding or any concerns for possible recurrence. The key is regular follow up with your oncologist or your primary doctor
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: For general

Population, once a decade is adequate.
I do not know the features of your sigmoid cancer, but the fact that you had chemo suggests either nodes or a deeply penetrating lesion. I'd listen and follow the advice of your surgeon, and ask if he/she focuses on proctology and if there is one in your community. Total colon scopes are usually done by medical GI folks.

In brief: For general

Population, once a decade is adequate.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Yes.

It's wise to keep doing this and even recommended as polyps can always develop and give rise to recurrent cancer.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Steven Seres