I have gad. I take 45mg Buspar (buspirone) daily, exercise, see psych bi weekly. Things are still bad though. Doc wants me to add 1mg Lexapro daily. Is this safe?

Dr. Sarah Hartz

Lexapro should work well with buspar (buspirone).
Lexapro should help lower your baseline anxiety, but make sure to take it daily and give it ~2 weeks to start working.

Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology

In brief: Yes but 10 mg

The standard treatment of anxiety is ssri like paxil, (paroxetine) zoloft and Lexapro at 10 mg q day is excellent.

In brief: Yes but 10 mg

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: 1 mg Lexapro (escitalopram)?

You probably meant 10 mg or maybe you meant Lorazepam (ativan).
Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine like klonopin, xanax, (alprazolam) or valium. Lexapro is an antidepressant and also a very good anti anxiety medication.

In brief: 1 mg Lexapro (escitalopram)?

Dr. Edmund Cavazos

In brief: Medical Reason?

My success with Buspar (buspirone) has been very poor but use of benzodiapines have their issues.
Have you been evaluated for a medical cause for you gad-cardiac issues, endocrine problems, etc.

In brief: Medical Reason?

Buspar though very gentle, can be an excellent adjunctant to lexapro.
Dr. Muhammad Munir

In brief: Anxiety Treatment

Buspar (buspirone) can be combined with lexapro, i recommend to start low doses when combining meds to avoid side effects and monitoring response.
Discuss with your psych about the combination treatments certain meds dose need to be adjusted when combined. Hope you anxiety clears up soon as its not an easy feeling ever.

In brief: Anxiety Treatment