If I lose weight will the stretch marks on the sides of my stomach go away?

Dr. Frank Pinto
Dermatology

In brief: No

In fact, if you lose a lot of weight quickly they actually can get worse.
Unfortunately, there are not any really effective treatments for stretch marks. Over-the-counter remedies like cocoa butter don't work. Laser treatments may help to lighten red or dark stretch marks. Fortunately they do tend to fade on their own over time.

In brief: No

Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Philip Fried
Dermatology

In brief: No

No but laser treatments are available that can treat stretch marks.

In brief: No

Dr. Philip Fried
Dr. Philip Fried
Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Stretch marks

Stretch marks are a tear in the skin.
Losing weight can help reduce the visible width of a stretch mark. Lasers can not repair stretch marks but can make them appear tighter, similar to the color of your skin, and improve it texturally so it is less obvious.

In brief: Stretch marks

Stretch marks are a tear in the skin.
Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Seema Patel