Will a kidney infection go away with nitrofurantn?

No! Nitrofurantoin's benefit, the high concentration in urine, is also its downfall when treating pyelonephritis; it has unpredictable and often low tissue levels. Because of this, pyelonephritis should not be treated with nitrofurantoin.
Possibly. Nitrofurantoin, or macrobid, is commonly used to treat uncomplicated urinary tract infections and is usually effective. However if you have a true kidney infection, or pyelonephritis, then you may need IV antibiotics and hospitalization. Best to have a urine sample sent for culture before starting any antibiotic.
No. Macrobid, or nitrofurantoin, is a poor choice for most kidney infections such as pyelonephritis and renal abscess. Is does not acheive high enough concentration in the tissues to treat the infection adequately. It does work well for uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections. If you are on Nitrofurantoin and develop a kidney infection, see your physician immediately.