I have pain in my right hand whenever I pick stuff up that is heavy. The pain lasts for an hour or so after picking something heavy up?

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Arthritis

This is a classic story for arthritis: pain with use (or shortly after) that lasts for a while then fades.
Probably most common is arthritis at the base of the thumb where the thumb attaches to the wrist. Hand surgeons are very good at treating this -- cortisone shot and a hand-thumb brace or surgery. Ask your doctor about seeing a hand surgeon and you'll get good relief!

In brief: Arthritis

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Hand pain

Lots of possibilities, depending on exactly where your pain is.
For example, if its at the base of your thumb could be arthritic, wrist could be various types of tendinitis or ligament issues etc... So need to know a bit more. A good history and exam will inform the discussion. Best of luck.

In brief: Hand pain

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Adam Smith