If my partner smokes and drinks will it effect me getting pregnant ?

Ken Starnes
General Practice
Alcohol and tobacco use can affect the quality and motility (ability to swim to the egg) of sperm.

Ken Starnes
Ken Starnes
Answer assisted by Ken Starnes, Medical Student
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Smoking & Fertility
I would be most concerned about second hand smoke while you are pregnant and after the delivery.
This can lead to developmental changes in the fetus and developing infant. There are good smoking cessation treatments available. A possible baby on the way is a great reason to quit. Plus, the money saved from not buying tobacco can buy a lot of diapers. Good luck.

In brief: Smoking & Fertility
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Depends
Most important first step is to evaluate partner's semen analysis - check the sperm count, motility, and morphology.
Regardless, it may be advantageous to discontinue smoking tobacco as studies have shown that it can affect seman analysis parameters, although whether it affects infertilty directly is not definitive.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham