How to prevent upper respiratory infections...?

Wash your hands. Avoid getting coughed & sneezed upon! eat right & exercise regularly to maintain your immune system. And keep washing your hands! by the way, most upper respiratory infections (uris) or common colds are viral in nature. Thus they don't respond to antibiotics. Average duration of cough illness is 18 days so be prepared.
Good hygeine. Viral infections are spread because of poor habits. Wash hands well, do not have someone sneeze or cough into their hands and then shake yours or visa-versa.