I constantly get scared I have contracted herpes but it is impossible to tell if an ingrown hair is herpes or just an ingrown.. What is the difference?

Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: A few

Herpes is usually tiny blisters with clear fluid with a red base.
See your doctor to get tested to know for sure.

In brief: A few

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Very different

Herpes hurts or tingles about a day ahead of time, then forms a fluid filled bump that then opens, crusts, and finally heals.
The process, without medicines, takes about a week. An infected hair follicle forms a bump that turns red, fills with pus, and is painful. If heals after it drains. If there's a doubt in your mind, a doctor can tell you which it is after looking at it.

In brief: Very different

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey