Is gabapentin good for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Einar Ottestad
Pain Management

Lyrica (pregabalin) is fda approved for fms.
Gabapentin is essentially the same molecule, just older, off patent, and cheaper. No one wants tomspend millions of dollars on Gabapentin research to add the fms indication.

Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Fibromyalgia Rx

Gabapentin [neurontin] is widely used for the treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome [fms] but that indication has never been formally evaluated by United States food and drug administration [fda].
One research study showed it to be helpful if the dosage was above 2000mg/day but not with lower dosages. Another drug [pregabalin lyrica] is fda approved for fms.

In brief: Fibromyalgia Rx

Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Yes and No

Every fibromyalgia patient is different and a drug, such as gabapentin, that works for one fibromyalgia patient may not work for another. Also, medicines have side effects that can be problematic for some patients and not others.
Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant medicine that is also used to treat pain. It is important to find a physician that will work to find medicines that work for you.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Karl Haake
Anesthesiology

Neurontin (gabapentin) is an excellent choice for fibromyalgia pain and is something that is often used.

Dr. Karl Haake
Dr. Karl Haake
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Good option

It is used widely for this disease process but is not fda approved.
That said I have been forced by many insurance companies to try it prior to getting an approval for lyrica (pregabalin).

In brief: Good option

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Gabapentin

Gabapentin has been helpful for some people with fibromyalgia.
The condition needs to be addressed with various modalities and lifestyle modifications. I have had patients recently that have had benefit from a herbal morenga. www.thedocstu.com

In brief: Gabapentin

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

? if Neurontin (gabapentin) "good for fibromyalgia (FM)".
FM sufferers benefit from Neurontin (gabapentin); which is expected because Neurontin (gabapentin) is for nerves & seizures; not front-line therapy; is adjunctive. FM sufferers should use approved synthetic medications for "pain honeymoon"; whereat chronic soft tissue injuries can be rehabilitated. IMO, FM pain is peripheral micro-neuropathy; generated by anoxic trigger points.

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Peripheral nerves serve the myriad of ischemic/anoxic trigger points generated by chronic muscle spasm. Trigger points generate reactive Substances. There is evidence that fibromyalgia is a true peripheral neuropathy.
Dr. Eric Weisman