Is it normal for a doctor to refer someone who's hearing voices to a psychologist and not prescribe meds?

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Psychological Eval

Physicians often refer patients to psychologists to help understand what's going on for them and to the extent difficulties are interfering with their lives.
Psychologists are trained to diagnose mental health conditions and problems of living. To do so, psychologists will use formal psychological tests (which they are uniquely trained to give), in addition to interviews.

In brief: Psychological Eval

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein

In brief: Not normal, but....

The psychologist can determine if medication is needed.
Auditory hallucinations are often a sign of a psychotic illness like schizophrenia that requires psychiatric medication, but I have seen several patients with dissociative disorders who complain about hearing voices, and the primary treatment for these patients is psychotherapy. Medication often eventually plays a role even for these patients.

In brief: Not normal, but....

Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Craig Lum
Surgery

In brief: Psychologist eval

Normally, I would refer the patient to a psychiatrist in case meds are needed.
Pending on where the psychologist is practicing, they can prescribe only certain meds.

In brief: Psychologist eval

Dr. Craig Lum
Dr. Craig Lum
Dr. Jack Hinkle