I have ptsd & borderline personality disorder and breastfeed exclusively. Would prazosin be safe to take for my anxiety, insomnia and nightmares?

Dr. Gary Beach

In brief: Possibly

This is a blood pressure medicine that has been used successfully "off label" for ptsd.
It may be unsafe for your infant as it crosses into breast milk. Consider discontinuing breast feeding.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Gary Beach
Dr. Gary Beach

In brief: Don't know

There is unfortunately inadequate literature to advise about the risks of lactation while on prazosin.
I'm glad you discovered its value. It's an old medication for high blood pressure that was discovered to effectively treat the nightmares of ptsd. Proceed with caution.

In brief: Don't know

Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Dr. Robert Berkowitz

In brief: Breastfeeding safety

Prazosin has been effective for many (but not all) of my patients with recalcitrant nightmares & insomnia.
Getting a good night sleep is very important for emotional healing and to have the energy to parent a new baby. Unfortunately i don't know of any studies about impact on breastfeeding. You may consider discontinuing breastfeeding. Take care.

In brief: Breastfeeding safety

Dr. Jonathan Jassey