Do you have to have surgery for tmj?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Very last resort

The first thing in treatment is a soft diet, antiinflammatory medicines, ice to the jaw and consultation with a dentist.
There is a special mouth guard called an nti device which is very helpful in preventing jaw clenching and spasm. Physical therapy is also helpful.

In brief: Very last resort

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: No

Most cases of TMJ (temperomandibular joint) pain does not require surgery.
Most cases can me managed conservatively with ice, anti-inflammatory medications, and rest. See your doctor or TMJ specializing dentist for your best treatment options.

In brief: No

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. James Courey
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: It depends

There are many factors to consider. Surgery for TMJ is extremely aggressive and invasive.
I would exhaust other treatment options like an oral appliance to adjust jaw position or Botox injections to relive discomfort. Be certain you are seeing a prosthodontists and/or oral surgeon to explain your specific treatment options.

In brief: It depends

Dr. James Courey
Dr. James Courey
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not usually

Usually TMJ problems can be treated conservatively.
There are a couple of disorder that require surgery primarily. The best approach in most TMD is to try most forms of non-surgical treatment first.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery