I have chronic left knee swelling and pain (for 3 years!) after extensive testing diagnosis is synovitis. Any recommendations?

Dr. David Bozak
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Injection or surgery
I'm assuming after 3 years you have tried pt and antiinflammatories.
Draining the knee followed by a cortisone injection (assuming the fluid doesn't look infected) could help. If there is any suspicion for infection, hold off on the cortisone until the synovial fluid has been evaluated. Last resort is to see an ortho surgeon about a synovectomy.

In brief: Injection or surgery
Dr. David Bozak
Dr. David Bozak
Dr. David Bailie
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
Depends on type of synovitis- if no tears etc, arthroscopic synovectomy works well and also biopsy the synovium to check for diseases like rheumatoid and PVNS

In brief: Depends
Dr. David Bailie
Dr. David Bailie
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine