When can I put my baby down without worrying about him crying?

In brief: Any time
A babies cry is an engaging plea, but not one that always requires that they be held.
They cry with hunger, when tired, when ill, when too hot or too cold or for no reason that can be understood. Once you have done what you can to deal with babies issues, you can put them down with no guilt. A baby does not understand what sleep is until > 1yr of age. Accept that they are likely tired & let them be.

In brief: Any time
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE
In brief: When necessary
Babies are not spoiled by carrying them to soothe their frustrations, however if your attention is needed where or when it might not be safe for baby(eg, kitchen) then you can put him/her down in a safe place at anytime and any age and attend to these needs.
As soon as you can, pick baby up and soothe their anxieties. They will ultimately learn to spend time alone, assured that you will return.

In brief: When necessary
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE