What can I do besides depression medication to get my motivation and happiness back?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: A lot!

You can work with a good psychotherapist on your depression -- you'll learn more about any patterns which lead to more depression, and how to counteract them. The positive effects may outlast medication, and put you in the driver's seat.
Also you can exercise regularly, get consistent sleep, and eat healthy, whole foods as much as possible. Connect with family & friends for healthy support.

In brief: A lot!

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Depression

I agree with dr. Walker. Along with medications, life-style changes, psychotherapy does help.

In brief: Depression

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Bob Stewart
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depression remedies

Include exercising, engaging in social interaction & engrossing activities, practicing gratitude, doing kind things for others, learning and practicing stress management, developing & committing to meaningful goals, avoiding negative thinking & negative comparisons with others, & talking to empathic & trusted people.
If those aren't enough, talk to a mental health professional.

In brief: Depression remedies

Dr. Bob Stewart
Dr. Bob Stewart
Dr. John Walker
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Exercise hard

Exercising hard boosts endorphin levels enormously, as does yoga.
Endorphins are "happy hormones", and probably more than enough to get you up and going. Trouble is sometimes motivating to do this! for this antidepressants can, & do help. It is possible, go for it!

In brief: Exercise hard

Dr. John Walker
Dr. John Walker
I agree w Dr. Walker - sometimes us doctors can forget the power of exercise. One British study showed that exercising in a green space for just five minutes made a significant improvement in perceived stress level & sense of mental well being. Right on Dr. Walker.