The doctor told me my baby has MRSA vacteria. She is only two yrs. Is she serious? What do we do for her?

Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: It can be

Mostly MRSA is a simple staph infection, a bacteria that causes skin rashes, boils and such.
It can lead to invasive infection and sepsis, but as long as it's treated with the proper antibiotic in a timely manner, and steps are taken to decrease carriage in family and on the baby's person, things should be fine.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: By '55 > staph PRSA

Most do not recall that staph was once killed quicklly by tiny amounts of penicillin.
By the 50's we had PCN-resistant strains & came up with methacillin.We have meds to kill it. About 1/2 the pustules drained in my town have MRSA & people are not dying like its a plague.Properly treated this is easy to cure, ignored & untreated, any infection can become deadly.Respect it but relax & enjoy your kid.

In brief: By '55 > staph PRSA

Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care