How do I tell the difference between hairy tongue and thrush? Caused by antibiotics dr. Called my dentist he gave me peridex (chlorhexidine gluconate)? Will it work?

Different process. Thrush is a fungal infection that will respond to anti fungal medication and typically resolve within a two week period. Hairy tongue is they hypertrophy, or overgrowth, of filiform papillae on the tongue. This can cause an unpleasant build up of odor and debris. Thrush may be caused by antibiotics as the fungal infection is opportunistic in nature. In short, see a dentist to eval which one it is.
Not the same process. Hairy tongue is a systemically caused lesion that results in hypertrophy (overgrowth) of the cells on the back of the tongue. Thrush is caused by a yeast infection. Like an apartment building, when the good tenants move, the bad ones come in. Antibiotics klled the bacteria, so the yeast take over. Peridex (antibacterial rinse) makes it worse. You need Diflucan (fluconazole) or Nystatin rinse. Good luck.