Im 12 weeks pregnant and having a cerclage soon. I was told I will be on pelvic rest. Should I currently be avoiding intercourse?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Many doctors say yes

But there are other ways to be intimate.

In brief: Many doctors say yes

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. John Kirk

Pelvic rest means nothing in the vagina and that includes fingers and penises.
If you are having a cerclage it is probably sensible that you don't partake in intercourse. It may put you at increased risk for a pregnancy loss if there is alreasdy a problem that suggests you ned a ceraclage (surgery to stitch the cervix closed to prevent early pregnancy loss).

Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine

Pelvic rest includes sexual vaginal intercourse.
Some would argue that even orgasms should be avoided as this may increase uterine contractility. Obviously, this is something you should consult with your ob/gyn.

Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias

In brief: YES!

If you want to carry this pregnancy, i would recommend avoiding intercourse until 6-12 weeks after delivery!

In brief: YES!

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham