For a diabetic what can numbness and tingling in the feet mean?

Wiggle your toe. If the numbness goes away after you've moved your feet, then it's slow circulation. But if you still have pins & needles, then most likely diabetes has damaged the nerves (diabetic neuropathy). Be sure to check your feet each night. Don't go bare foot. Taking Alpha lipoid acid and controlling your sugars can help prevent more nerve damage.
Abnormal nerve. Neuropathy is a condition resulting from abnormal nerve function. Neuropathy can be due to certain vitamin deficiencies, nerve damage due to trauma, alcohol consumption, radiation, side effects of certain medications, or due to certain medical conditions such as diabetes. Treatment varies depending on the cause of the problem. Have it evaluated and appropriately treated.
Uncontrolled. Numbness and tingling in a diabetic is the cardinal signs and symptoms for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. This is usually indicative of uncontrolled dm. It ocurrs over time. High sugars are toxic to the nerve tissue. This is checked for by your pcp with a small plastic monofilament. More sophisticated testing can be done. There are medications to help. Get dm under contol!