Can a hydrocele or varicocele in adult cause a little swelling in the groin?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: H'cele yes V'cele no

A hydrocele can extend up into the groin, but varicoceles almost invariably remain in scrotum. I have seen many hundreds of varicoceles over the years & never seen one extend up into the groin.

In brief: H'cele yes V'cele no

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Benjamin Whittam
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: See your doctor

If you are having swelling in your groin you need to see your doctor for a physical exam to rule out a hernia.
A hydrocele sometimes can cause swelling in the groin, but this much more common in children then adults. I have never seen a varicocele cause swelling in the groin. Please see your doctor, especially if this swelling is causing you pain or discomfort.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Benjamin Whittam
Dr. Benjamin Whittam
Dr. Keegan Duchicela