I had my gallbladder taken out a yr ago and I constantly have diarrhea. Wat should I do? And I have really bad cramps in my lower abdominal area.

In brief: Cholestyramine?
Cutting down on your fat intake may be helpful.
However, you may benefit from medication, especially if this has been going on for over a year. I find many patients treated with Cholestyramine for diarrhea after a gallbladder surgery will improve. This may not help everyone but is a fairly simple thing to try. Talk to your surgeon about this.

In brief: Cholestyramine?
Dr. Rodney Biggs
Dr. Rodney Biggs
David Miller
In brief: Low fat diet?
When you have had your gallbladder removed, it is really important to stick to a low fat diet.
Without your gallbladder, less fat is digested in your gut and the excess is flushed out through the gut, causing diarrhea, greasy stools that can be grey and float in the toilet. Definitely worth seeing your doc about this one.

In brief: Low fat diet?
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Ken Starnes
General Practice
In brief: Small, low-fat meals
Your gallbladder stores, concentrates, and releases bile - which help your gut absorb fats from your diet.
With it removed, your system cannot release a large amount at once to digest much fat at once, so the excess is passed through your system and out in your feces. Try smaller meals, lower in fat. And also make sure you are getting vitamin a, d, e and k levels checked by your doctor.

In brief: Small, low-fat meals
Ken Starnes
Ken Starnes
Answer assisted by Ken Starnes, Medical Student
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery