Is one of the side affects of augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) a yeast infection? It also gave me the runs realy bad. Is that normal?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

Side effects of Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) (amoxicillin/clavulanate) include diarrhea and vaginal yeast infections in women.
See your doctor if you experience these side effects.

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Pretty common...

I wouldn't say the yeast infection and the runs are normal, but with augmentin, (amoxicillin and clavulanate) these things are common.
Amoxicillin contained in Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) commonly causes diarrhea, which is a side effect. The yeast infection is due to the antibotic effect of Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) eradicating your normal protective bacteria and increasing the relative quantity of the yeast already present in the vagina.

In brief: Pretty common...

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Steven Seres