Does arthritis always show up on a mri?

2 Things I Don't Say. I tend to avoid using "always" or "never." so no, arthritis doesn't always show up on an mri. You might see changes in a joint related to arthritis: spurs or osteophytes in osteoarthritis (wear and tear arthritis), or perhaps joint erosion in rheumatoid arthritis. Mris generally are good tests for showing soft tissue changes - and they have the advantage of using no radiation (xray). Lgromkomd.
No. Mri's must be done with contrast to detect the inflammation of the synovial cells that line the inside of the joint.If contrast is used with mri, then most types of arthritis can be ruled-out by a negative MRI done properly and read properly by skilled musculoskeletal radiologist.Mri's done without contrast will only show bone damage or large amount of tissue swelling from long-standing arthritis.