What can I take for knee pain?

Pain type is crucial. Knee pain can be joint pain, muscle pain, bone pain, bursitis pain, tendon pain, muscle pain, etc. Just because the knee hurts does not mean arthritis and does not mean a need for injections or surgery. You may need a good conditioning program, even seeing a physicial therapist. Muscle strength is important to help knee pain - the muscle help protect the knee.
Need good diagnosis. In order to provide you with the best recommendation, you need to get a proper diagnosis. I agree with the other doctors on the causes so you first need to be seen and diagnosed. An examination and x-ray is the first step. X-rays help us to prove or eliminate some basic conditions and lets us ensure you don't have a dangerous growth. So if you have persistent pain get examined and x-rayed first.