58years, had liver cirrhosis in2006, I was put under steroids, have to continue steroids as per doctor for life, but I keep gaining weight due to the same?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: See liver specialist

Agree with dr. Abe; sounds like autoimmune hepatitis.
Meds may be able to be adjusted. On 6mp (steroid sparing), Budesonide (steroid with fewer systemic effects)? Watching diet, weight as best you can> avoiding alcohol? Liver specialist (hepatologist) may be able to help.

In brief: See liver specialist

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: 2nd opinion

The fact that you are treated with steroids leads me to think that you are probably diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis in which case steroids +/- azathioprine would be the usual treatment.
How long you need to be on steroids should depend on how you are responding and tolerating, whether you are able to achieve remission, how advanced your liver disease is. You may want to consider a 2nd opinion.

In brief: 2nd opinion

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. PHILLIP KIM

In brief: Autoimmune cirrhosis

If liver cirrhosis is due to an autoimmune condition, then chronic steroid usage have a role.
But of course using steroids chronically brings on a host of problems including weight gain. Recommend that you further followup with a gastroenterologist.

In brief: Autoimmune cirrhosis

Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
Dr. Arnon Rubin