How do I handle a situation where the doctor wont prescribe me strong enough pain medicine?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Pain medicine
I would need to know some specifics, like which medication do you think you need and for what kind of a problem. I would also need to know the reason you were denied the medication.
Doctors now a days, are careful about prescribing addictive drugs.

In brief: Pain medicine
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. John Stork
Anesthesiology
In brief: Ask for referral
Strong pain often requires strong medicine, but if the pain is chronic, for your own well being you have to consider the potential side effects, and possible physical dependence from pain medication.
Other therapies, and rehabilitation may be of great benefit and help avoid these problems. A chronic pain specialist is most experienced in dealing with these problems.

In brief: Ask for referral
Dr. John Stork
Dr. John Stork
Dr. Lea Danielsen
In brief: Consider specialist
Consider asking your doctor if he/she thinks it would be appropriate to see a pain specialist.
Of course you want to convey that you feel your pain is inadequately treated. Sometimes more pain medication is not the best option to try initially. There are often other options, other medications, physical therapy, injections, surgery, even treatment of depression, depending on your situation.

In brief: Consider specialist
Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Vikram Patel