What do I do when I dislocate my knee?

Dr. Darren Corteen
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Ortho evaluation
Actual knee dislocation is often the result of significant trauma and is incapacitating.
Based on that it sounds as though you are referring to recurrent patellar (kneecap) dislocation. The unstable knee cap will often relocate on its own but sometimes requires relocation by a physician. However recurrent dislocation can be debilitating and thus warrants evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Ortho evaluation
Dr. Darren Corteen
Dr. Darren Corteen
Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Prevention!!
It sounds like your patella (knee cap) may be loose.
If it frequently slides, you would likely benefit from a brace with a cut out for the knee cap to help it track evenly. A good quadriceps and hamstring balance and strengthening program would also be useful. It is important to prevent this from recurring, as it can damage the cartilage under the patella.

In brief: Prevention!!
Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine