What are the chances for twins without family history?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Twin risk

I agree with other answers.
Let me add that women older than 35 also have an increased risk because they have a higher natural level of FSH ( follicle stimulating hormone). In addition to ivf, any fertility medication increases the risks but to a variable degree. We have a ways to go but the trend to more single embryo transfer, is reducing the multiple rates from ivf. Best wishes.

In brief: Twin risk

I agree with other answers.
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Depends on race

African-american women have higher twin rates.
Also, more obese women and those consuming multivitamins before they get pregnant are at higher risk for twins. Of course, by far the greatest predictor of twins is ivf (assisted reproduction).

In brief: Depends on race

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Rahil Malik

In brief: 2%

In us, of the total # of pregnancies, twin pregnancy account for 2 % of pregnancies in total.

In brief: 2%

Dr. Rahil Malik
Dr. Rahil Malik
Dr. Hassan Harirah
The incidence of spontaneous twin pregnancies is about 1-2 % and it gets slightly higher if there is family history.
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine

In brief: 2-3%

Roughly 2-3% chance of twins for all comers.
It also depends on the age of the woman at the time she conceives. There are also differences due to race. Interstingly, chance for identical twins is ~0.5% regardless of race.

In brief: 2-3%

Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Adam Levy