Hello- my son is 3 1/2 years old. He has a signifacant speech delay and seems to tune people out. Are these signs of autism?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Get hearing tested

Before considering autism make sure you have his hearing tested.

In brief: Get hearing tested

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Possibly

They are non-specific signs of several possible things .
Start with his pediatrician and a hearing and speech and language evaluation now early intervention for this is optimal.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: All good answers.

"speech" = motor aspect of pronunciation.
"language" = both comprehension of spoken words (receptive) & verbalization of thoughts (expressive). Call your local school district's child find team to assess all areas of your son's development & evaluate for autism to determine his eligibility for early childhood special education. Firstsigns.Org has screening tests for both. Please don't delay.

In brief: All good answers.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke

In brief: Maybe

Both are features but kids who struggle with communication may try to avoid situations where people are likely to try to engage them in conversation.
I would have the kids doc do an autism screening or you can find some online & fill them out.Then proceed to your pcp and find how to get local help.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Eric Weisman