I have a swollen gland behind my left ear. It is hard and sometimes hurts real bad. My doc is not concerned should I be?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: Perhaps
This sounds like you have or have had an infections that has caused this regional lymph node to react to the infection.
Is there fever, redness, streaking, discharge? Often these will improve or go away with observation. Warm compresses along with Ibuprofen or acetamenophn may help. Often antibiotics may be needed to rid the underlying infeciton. Rarely they need incision. Get another opinion?

In brief: Perhaps
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Chris Hawley
In brief: Swollen gland
If it has been there for more than 3 months, it should be biopsied.
Some infections can also cause prolonged swelling in the gland. If in doubt, see an ear nose and throat specialist.

In brief: Swollen gland
Dr. Chris Hawley
Dr. Chris Hawley
Dr. Andrea Brand