How soon after having unprotected sex on your "fertile" days can you take a pregnancy test.

Two weeks. Wait 14 days after the date of ovulation (the famous two week wait). A home pregnancy test can go positive earlier than 14 days, but if it's negative it may have just been too soon to test. If your period is late test again.
After missed period. You should wait 4-5 days after a missed period to do home pregnancy test. Use first morning urine and follow the instructions in the package carefully. A blood test may be positive sooner but you need to go to your doctor for that.