My father have enlarged prostate, medication is not responding. Does it require surgery? Is it a complicated procedure?

In brief: Options
Men with bothersome urinary symptoms due to enlarged prostate are treated with medication initially.
For those not improved with medication, surgical therapy is an option. Different procedures exist from office microwave therapy to outpatient procedures using lasers or other energy source to remove prostate tissue. He needs to consult with his urologist to decide which approach is best for him.

In brief: Options
Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. George Klauber
Agree with above, but would like to interject that microwave treatment for most men is usually a temporary treatment modality and transurethral resection and actually removing obstructing tissue is the best option. I, as a urologist, would personally opt in favor of a TUR if I had an obstructing prostate
Dr. James Krick
Urology
In brief: Possibly
Various forms of transurethral prostate reduction surgery such as TURP can be quite effective medication is not helpful symptoms.
For the most part these are relatively minor surgeries done on an overnight stay or outpatient basis.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick
In brief: Prostate medicines
The only class of "prostate-shrinking" medicines are the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors of which there are two agents - Finasteride and dutasteride.
They work at different rates and men should not expect to see any response for a minimum of 3-6 months, and possibly not fot 6-12 months. They are often prescribed with an alpha-blocker for immediate symptom relief.

In brief: Prostate medicines
Dr. Stephen Chinn
Dr. Stephen Chinn
Dr. Cindy Juster