My two year old granddaughter ate a peanut and began to vomit and blotches broke out on her body. Whatshould I do?

Dr. David Rosenthal
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Peanut allergy
I recommend that your granddaughter avoid all peanuts and other nuts.
She should see a physician as soon as possible (who will review the incident and confirm that she needs an Epipen prescription). She should be evaluated by an allergist to confirm what caused the reaction, and for advice and an action plan. Have Benadryl (diphenhydramine) on hand, and call 911 or take her to the emergency room if this reoccurs.

In brief: Peanut allergy
Dr. David Rosenthal
Dr. David Rosenthal
Dr. Andrew Oswari
In brief: Avoid them
Avoid all nuts until you you see an allergist and get your cold tested.
Nut allergies can be life threatening and you should take precautions. Keep Benadryl (diphenhydramine) handy and if there are but allergies you should carry an epi pen as well.

In brief: Avoid them
Dr. Andrew Oswari
Dr. Andrew Oswari
Dr. Paul Carter
In brief: No more peanuts!
Do not allow her to eat anymore peanuts until testing has been done to rule out peanut allergy.
This can be deadly!

In brief: No more peanuts!
This can be deadly!
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Also, read labels for peanut products among the ingredients
Dr. Shashi Kumar
In brief: Consult an Allergist
It appears that she has food allergy to peanut.
This can be confirmed by skin testing or immnocap blood test by an allergist. Only treatment we have at present is strict avoidance of peanut in her diet. Because the severity of future reactions to accidental ingestion is unpredictable we recommend to have Epipen (epinephrine) available. Oral desensitization treatment will be available in the near future.

In brief: Consult an Allergist
Dr. Shashi Kumar
Dr. Shashi Kumar
Dr. Jonathan Jassey