What are the possible causes for headache in children?

David Escobar
In brief: Many
There are many possible causes, including trauma and infection.
A possible diagnosis depends on other symptoms your child is exhibiting. However, a common, overlooked cause of headaches in children (especially teenagers) is dehydration. Have your child drink plenty of water and see if that helps; if the headache does not go away, or there are other symptoms, see your doctor.

In brief: Many
David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student
Dr. Indu Lal
In brief: Many
Not enough fluids specially water, drinking too much sugary liquids, poor eating habits, too much tv, videos, not enough sleep are some of the common and very basic causes.
But make sure child is evaluated for any organic cause if h/a is in the night , associated with other symptoms like nausea , vomiting, tingling , numbness inf extremities etc.

In brief: Many
Dr. Indu Lal
Dr. Indu Lal
In brief: Numerous causes
Here is a list of just a few causes of headache in children: stress, fever, sinusitis, dehydration, concussion, meningitis, arteriovenous malformation ( tangle of blood vessels) in brain, brain tumor, hydrocephalus (water on the brain).
If your child has headaches more than 1-2 times per month over age 5 years old, that last more than 4 hrs, you should ask your md to do a thorough exam and workup.

In brief: Numerous causes
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Same as adults
The causes of headaches in children is the same as adults.
The source of stress is generally around school and social issues. Migraine is a common childhood disorder. Increased intracranial pressure is uncommon cause.

In brief: Same as adults
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
In brief: Check sight
I agree with my colleagues.
But would add in children a frequent cause is vision problems and depending in what area you live in, allergies.

In brief: Check sight
I agree with my colleagues.
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Cindy Juster