I'm training for a 1/2 marathon & have been running more often than usual. I've been having painful shin splints. How long should I wait to run?

Dr. Ario Kiarash
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Rest

Shin splints or tibial stress syndrome heals at a different rate in different people.
You should avoid running for the next 6 weeks. If you have access to an exercise bike change your exercise so that you do not loose your fitness level. When you re-start, make sure you are wearing good shoes with cushioned support and run on softer surface such as dirt or grass. If the pain is back stop!

In brief: Rest

Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Depends

You may take Ibuprofen for the imflammation and pain as needed.
Avoid hills totally. Stay on same surface -- not road then grass, or indoor basketball court. Train on the surface that the race will be on -- usually road. Check shoes for uneven wear, replace as needed. Reduce your intensity, slow your pace. Unless you have been switching surfaces, this is usually an overuse injury- speed/distance.

In brief: Depends

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine