Every time I go running it triggers my allergies really bad. Is there any way I can go running without having to deal with allergies afterwards?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Allergy

Though not disagreeing with other physicians, i would not endorse the use of any specific medication on a medical website.
It would be best for you to see your doctor, preferably an allergist, to determine what you are allergic to, as well as to determine if asthma is also a problem. 70% of asthma is allergy-induced.

In brief: Allergy

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Thomas Wolski Jr
General Practice

If you are only getting these symptoms when breathing hard while outside, you've already done a lot of the work of diagnosing your environmental allergies for us! start with a once-daily antihistamine like cetirizine.
I would recommend taking it at dinnertime, especially if you typically run in the mornings. You may also have exercise-induced asthma. If antihistamine doesn't work, see doc 4 eval.

Thomas Wolski Jr
Thomas Wolski Jr
Answer assisted by Thomas Wolski Jr, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
your doc may do breathing tests; may prescribe an inhaler (albuterol or similar med) to be used 15-20 minutes before exercising to open airways and relieve symptoms
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Not to be the anti-thesis of the response, but oral antihistamines are proven to be barely more effective than placebo. Avoidance is best, but that is not possible. You really should seek a doctor's advice for a better alternative medication. Especially antihistamines are a systemic medication with many more side effects than anti-allergy nasal sprays.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine